Sunday, July 12, 2009

Year in review

It's been just over a year since I started this blog. I posted a LOT more than I thought I would. Also, I apparently dropped the tradition of reviewing beers. So I'll start by reviewing some beers!

Mountain Sun Hummingbird - a strong honey-ale (meade-beer?) brewed with orange blossom honey. Slightly darker than a typical Belgian Golden but similar in style. The beer is mildly sweet but very drinkable. Hmm... there are flavors I should mention but they escape me.

Mountain Sun/Avery Van Diemens - brewed with Tasmanian Pepper Berry, this is a very curious, semi-dark beer. When I first sampled it, I tasted a little bit of pepper kick at the end, but couldn't really identify any other flavors. Yesterday I sampled it next to a burrito with some somewhat spicy salsa. Somehow, since my mouth was already sensitized to spiciness, the flavor I got was root beer (sassafras?). It was... odd. Pretty good, but I didn't end up purchasing a glass.

Moving on to code. I don't know why I haven't mentioned this, but with my discovery of svn, I started uploading my code to the webternets: agpy is my Google Code page and includes a number of useful python codes, especially readcol and gaussfitter, which I have tested and used extensively since writing them. Python is still a long way from a cohesive astrolib code base, but with individual contributions, the STSCI development group, and APLpy underway, we're getting closer.

No comments: