Thursday, July 24, 2008

Guinness and Dogfish Head

First, the Guinness: I'm drinking a Guinness Extra Stout right now. I'm a big fan of the normal Guinness Stout, but the extra stout is bitter - bridging on skunky. I don't like it. It has a sour edge.

Last night, tried the Dogfish Head Midas Touch. It's interesting - lots of flavors, topped by grape juice. It's a champagne-meade-beer. OK, but not spectacular. Pretty drinkable.

Dogfish Head Santo Palo tonight. It's a brown ale that looks more like a stout. I think it needs to mellow - it has an astringent alcohol flavor, but depth once you get further in. It was a lot better when it poured with some head than not. A little chocolate at the end, not much though.

Also tried the Avery "Ale to the Chief" Presidential Pale Ale. A little like an IPA, but really a hoppy pale ale. Not bad, not my favorite.

Those Dogfish beers are too expensive. I ought to stick to Avery and homebrews....

No comments: